☕️ Sippin Sunday: What I’ve Learned to Leave Behind
One thing markets have taught me is that growth is not always about bringing more.
More products.
More displays.
More signs.
More things packed into every available inch of the table.
Sometimes growth looks like learning what to leave behind.
When I first started doing markets, I wanted to bring everything. I thought the more choices I gave people, the better chance I had of making a sale. And honestly, that made sense to me at the time.
But after doing markets for a few years, I’ve learned that too much can become overwhelming—not only for the customer, but for me too.
A crowded table can make it harder for people to understand what I sell. Products can get lost. My best items may not stand out. And instead of creating a warm, inviting space, the booth can start to feel like I simply brought everything I own.
Now I try to be more intentional.
Before I pack for a market, I ask myself:
Does this product fit the direction of my business?
Does it work with the rest of my display?
Can someone quickly understand what it is and why they might want it?
Has it earned the space it takes up?
And maybe the hardest question:
Am I bringing it because it sells, or because I feel guilty leaving it at home?
That last one is real.
Sometimes we hold on to products because we spent money making them. Sometimes we remember how excited we were when we first created them. Sometimes we keep bringing them because we are convinced the right customer might eventually come along.
But every product does not have to come to every market.
Some things may work better online. Some may fit a different type of event. Some may need better packaging. And some may simply no longer fit the business we are building.
Leaving something behind does not mean it was a bad idea.
It may just mean I am getting clearer about my brand.
For me, that clarity has meant leaning more into the bookish gifts, Blind Date with a Book collections, curated bundles, and products that feel thoughtful and giftable. Those are the items that tell a more complete story when someone walks up to my booth.
I want my table to feel like an experience, not a storage unit.
I want people to understand what Rise Up Designs is about without having to study every corner of the display.
That requires editing.
It requires trusting that I do not have to show everything to prove that I have enough.
And it requires accepting that a smaller, more intentional selection can sometimes make a much stronger impression.
I am still learning what belongs on the table and what should stay home. But I have stopped believing that more inventory automatically means a better market.
Sometimes the smartest thing a small business owner can do is make room.
Room for the products that are working.
Room for customers to see what makes the business special.
And room for the business to keep growing in the right direction.
Growth is not always about adding more.
Sometimes it is having the confidence to leave a few things behind.
Until next time…
Jecca
Comments
Post a Comment